Rabiu Electrical Shop
- Business Type: Electrical Shop
- Business Owner: Rabiu Hassan
- Location: Birshi Village, Bauchi State Nigeria
- Business Production Capacity: An average of 10-15 jobs in a month, varying in the type and size of work. They include full conduit, half conduit, surface wiring, etc.
- Number of People Employed: 5
- People Directly Benefiting from the Business: 11
- Employees’ Children who are attending school: 26
- To improve community infrastructure by introducing and maintaining power in homes, schools and businesses
- To provide affordable, high-quality electrical wiring and repair services
- To empower aspiring individuals by providing them with training in electrical wiring and related skills
- To build a reputable business with a sustainable model for growth
Community ImpactRabiu’s electrical shop has connected multiple homes and businesses to the Bauchi electrical grid and has worked to restore old buildings and structures to support electrical devices. The impact of these efforts cannot be overstated; through innovative methods, Rabiu has created many jobs within his community, providing many individuals with a successful future. As one of the few providers of electrical equipment, Rabiu’s shop is well-known within his community. His store gives many individuals access to much needed electrical equipment including televisions, stereos, and lighting products. With his beginnings deeply rooted in his community, Rabiu constantly seeks new opportunities to help those around him. He provides free electrical repair for those who are unable to afford it, ensuring that no family is left at a disadvantage. Moreover, Rabiu also strives to empower the youth of his community; he currently trains six motivated teens in electrical repair, providing them with much needed skills for successful careers. His business also provides for the food, board and education of his younger employees. Rabiu’s compassion and philanthropic work is exceptional and has made him a respected leader in his community.
Rabiu’s StoryRabiu picked up the skills of his trade from his father. When working with his father, he found a passion for electrical repair and found the inspiration to start his own business. Armed with a hammer, a pair of pliers, a tester, a screwdriver and a bending spring, Rabiu opened his electrical shop for business. In the winter of 2013, Rabiu became part of the Leadership Initiatives Business Creation Program and learned essential skills in business management, accounting and project timeline completion plans. Moreover, with support from Leadership Initiatives, Rabiu was also able to acquire investors for his business, allowing him to afford specialized electrical tools and receive additional electrical training. Although his initial profits were low, Rabiu worked hard, finding time to continue his philanthropic work whenever possible. His specialized training empowered him with the knowledge needed to combat his company’s failing infrastructure. Through hard work and determination, Rabiu eventually became a “pillar” of his community. His reputation for kindness, as well as for high-quality work, has earned him many loyal customers, helping his business grow to new heights. Rabiu is the first son of seven and is married. As the eldest son, he cares for three of his brothers who live with him and his wife. Through LI’s intervention and his own hard work, he has been able to build a larger and more comfortable home for his family, setting himself up for a better future.