What Makes Us Different
Leadership Initiatives (LI) renews democracies on a grassroots level by cultivating self-reliant leadership. We help individuals and communities forge the connections necessary to solve local problems using existing community resources. In the process we train a new generation of innovative, resourceful leaders poised to catapult their neighborhoods, regions, and nations forward.
Our students delve to the root of local issues and create novel solutions firmly grounded in principles of social entrepreneurship. Each design results in new profit-generating businesses that expand capacity on a human level.
Vital services are made more accessible to the community while individual standards of living improve. And each enterprise serves as a model for similar initiatives in surrounding regions. Our community participants learn, do, and then teach others, creating an ever-expanding cycle of economic and personal growth.
In other words we transform communities to transform the world.
Leadership Initiatives is the only nonprofit operating in the developing world that does all of the following
1. Create locally owned businesses based off of local ideas: Community members know their needs better than any outside group could. For lasting change to take hold, communities must not only choose how to improve their themselves, but they must also own those ideas to create new infrastructure and change from within. .
2. Teach leader how to own and operate a business: Lack of planning, financial resources, and employee management skills are leading reasons new businesses fail. LI ensures that this is never the case for any business it creates with this program.
3. Provide skills training for each and every business owner and employee: Each business must be able to provide the services it says it can in order to gain community support and local investors.
4. Local Investment: Local investment ensures that there is a local demand for each business. It also provides motivation for investors to encourage other community members to use the business in which they have invested. This creates a local support network for any new business that LI sponsors.
5. United States Student PartnershipsSkills training funding for each new business is provided by US students who work with these local leaders to develop each business idea. This experience endows the next generation of US entrepreneurs and civic leaders with management, development and leadership experience. Furthermore, it introduces them to international development in a way that helps them understand and identify with these communities at a grassroots level.
Your support helps to simultaneously create a new American workforce and end the cycle that keeps developing communities in poverty and at-risk for terrorism.
We create honest, self-reliant leaders equipped to renew their communities from the ground up.
Our students learn leadership skills & create locally sustainable businesses.
Learn how LI started and how we are changing the world together!
Leadership Initiatives works: the stories, faces and numbers that prove it.