Leadership Initiatives Orphan Care and Independence Program
- Number of LI business’ participating within the program: 2
- LI Orphan Care Program Manager: Umar Muhammad
- Location: Buachi City and surrounding communities in Bauchi state
- Number of orphans within the program: 9
- Number of orphans receiving skills training: 9
- Average length of time before orphans can obtain work through the program 20 months
- Number of orphans who are attending school: 9
Program Purpose: Empowering the disadvantaged youth of Bauchi State by providing stable homes and the necessary skills to prosper in their communities.
- Provide Orphans with the skills necessary to become full participants in the local economy.
- Ensure the orphans have a stable home life to thrive in.
- Give LI Business Owners the chance to give back to their community.
The Orphan Care and Independence Program was originally developed in response to request from LI Business Owners. Once they had gotten their own business off the ground, they wanted to give back to the community by taking in orphans.
In order to ensure that all of the orphans taken in were both treated well and working towards the mastery of some skill, LI began the Orphan Independence and Skills Program to establish a set of best practices for its participants.
The Orphan Care and Independence Program is designed to provide orphans with the necessary training to become full participants in their communities.
After receiving initial training from Leadership Initiatives, there is ongoing oversight of all participating businesses to ensure that the orphans are well cared for and that the Leadership Initiatives staff:
- Keep track of the orphans taken in by L.I. business owners.
- Visit periodically to ensure that the orphans are being properly fed, well clothed, and fully provided for.
- Make sure that the orphans have the opportunity to participate in a skills training program of a business or trade in which they wish to work.
The L.I. staff also establishes a skills curriculum for each participant that they must progress through during the course of their apprenticeships. Further, the staff set apprentice wages that allow for the orphans to earn an income while learning a skill.
Learn about the goals and obstacles the program is facing and how you can help him achieve and solve them.