St. Pius X High School
International Business Alliance Program
Our vision is to change the lives of business owners that are across the globe with our leadership and teamwork. We plan to create solutions, spread awareness, and raise funds in order to achieve our goals to help a business thrive. This team meets together on a weekly basis to work together and communicate with our international business partners to set up a strategy to improve their enterprise. This group loves to support one another while positively impacting lives across the world.
Our Global Young Innovators Initiative Business Partner
Orphan Independence and Skills Program
Orphan Care Program Statistics
- Number of LI business’ participating within the program: 26
- LI Orphan Care Program Manager: Umar Mohammed
- Location: Buachi City and surrounding communities in Bauchi state
- Number of orphans within the program: 36
- Number of orphans receiving skills training: 27
- Average length of time before orphans can obtain work through the program 20 months
- Number of orphans who are attending school: 26
The Orphan Independence and Skills Program was originally developed in response to request from LI Business Owners. Once they had gotten their own business off the ground, they wanted to give back to the community by taking in orphans.
To ensure that all of the orphans taken in were treated well and working towards mastery of a skill, LI began the Orphan Independence and Skills Program to establish a set of best practices for all participants.
The Orphan Independence and Skills Program is designed to provide orphans with the necessary training to become full participants in their communities. The LI Businesses that participate in the Orphan Independence and Skills Program (OISP) have a contractual arrangement with Leadership Initiatives to provide life skills to the orphans they take in.
After receiving initial training from Leadership Initiatives, there is ongoing oversight of all participating businesses to ensure the orphans are cared for. To ensure this Leadership Initiatives staff:
- Track of the orphans taken in by LI Business Owners.
- Give periodic visits to ensure the orphans are being fed, well clothed, and provided for.
- Ensure that orphans have the opportunity to participate in a skills training program of a business or trade they wish to work in.
- L.I. staff establish a skills curriculum for each participate which they must progress through during the course of their apprenticeships.
- Set apprentice wages that allow the orphans to earn income while learning a skill.